Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Do I Know You?



In another life, I had a wife, a house and a neurotic dog.

Journeys across the cerebral cortex reveal real connections between the present and the past, but travels back in time always see me entering the life of a different person. Surely, that person must be dead now. It's clear that some part of him was preserved and transported into the future and now occupies a small region of my consciousness. However, control is never an issue and he remains a guest doomed to roam the hallways and corridors only to poke his head out once in awhile from the shadows to remind me of various things. Particularly, of the consequences. Always with the consequences.

It's unbalanced. We can travel back in time and witness and feel, but we can never interact with the past. Yet, our past selves travel to the future all the time and have a direct influence on our present. In fact, if we're to grow as people, we require this. Some of us have found ways to close those portals, but most have to live with the connections.

As for me... lately I've been a bit obsessed with looking back through time and wondering if I didn't just arrive here in the present in some unexplainable fashion, as if there's a disconnect back there somewhere. I see that guy with the wife, the house and the neurotic dog...

But, I don't think we know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...