Sunday, July 13, 2014

Resolving Image Focus



It moved across the open space with unimpressive speed and he knew he would have it. As he closed in, a deep shadow appeared ahead and threatened to take it from him. As it scrambled for the blackness, he became aware of how shiny its black back was and with his peripheral vision, through a hole in the wall, he could see a few rays breaking through the clouds.

He balled up the towel and hurled it forward. It spread open as it dropped, falling right onto the cockroach and bringing its desperate plight to an end.

Thirty seconds later, it was back in the glass. They sat outside together until the daylight hours came to a close.

I suppose you're feeling quite satisfied right now.

I feel alright.

You've had that one for quite awhile now. Longer than usual.

There'll be others.

Sure. Well, probably...

...

Haven't you had enough of this?

What would you do without me?

...

He awoke some hours later in complete blackness. Nothing to be seen and no way to make it visible. But, it was there and without much fumbling, he put his hand around the glass and picked it up. He gave it a little shake and put it to his ear. From inside, the sound of little shuffling feet. He put it back down and before long he returned to his dreams.

When he next opened his eyes, there was enough light in the room to see the glass. It lay inside on its back. He picked the glass up and softly shook it knowing that the waves of doubt would soon be washing over him again.

A rare sigh passed his lips.

2 comments:

  1. This post some what reminds me of my June-bug trappings a few weeks ago. This girl I know is terrified of them, so as they flew into the garage, which was open to the air, they were collected in a jar. I sat there and watched them climb over each other, search for ways out and some just sat immobile. I ended up taking the jar with 30-something June-bugs and walking it about a block away to release them near some bright church lights. I didn't feel right keeping them trapped. I heard later one, after I left a few of the folks at the bbq decided to write messages on some of the bug's backs. I think it was alcohol induced, much like other ideas that sound good at the time, I think they felt guilty about it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We treat the so-called lower lifeforms the way we do because we don't believe the have the level of consciousness we do, but it wouldn't hurt us (or them) to imagine that they can feel what we feel...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...