Monday, July 7, 2014

You're On In Five Minutes...



"You look nervous."

"I am. A little. Any last words of encouragement before I go out that door and embarrass myself?"

"Well, I assume you've done all the necessary preparations and..."

"I don't know about all of them."

"Alright then, what I mean is, I guess you've done your best to get ready for this."

"I'd like to think I have, but I must admit, I did lose my focus from time to time."

"Everyone does. Anyway, you're as ready as you're ever going to be."

"Ever?"

(smiles slightly) "It's time..."

She remembers the two rules. She remembers writing them down every day for months until she was sure she'd never forget them. And, she never did. Never forgot.

But, she did ignore them from time to time.

  1. Know thyself
  2. To thine own self be true
The door opens and she knows that it was never about the great wide world, the universe, the social interactions... 

Through the door she carries all she ever needed. All that ever mattered.

She goes through naked and alone.

She goes through ready.

You’ve been giving up things for years to get here. I dont think I even understood that. How does a man decide in what order to abandon his life?

Last passage from No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

2 comments:

  1. #2 is often hard to adhere to for so many. 1 comes hard as when you know yourself you know the ugly along with the rest. Some people have a hard time even looking in let alone getting to know their true selves. As for 2, I have deluded myself at times, made excuses for myself that I believe because taking the high road seems too hard at the time. As the old saying goes, "If I knew then what I know now."
    These types of thoughts, the 'if' train of thoughts can sometimes keep me up far passed my bedtime and lead into some fitful sleep with far out dreams. I guess it takes practice, as with most things to get better at life. At being yourself and comfortable with that self you are or want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's worse is that people often try to follow rule #2 before being successful with rule #1. They try to act in accordance with their internal code, but they don't really know why they should... Of course, I don't mean 'why' in the universal sense, but as the question "Why did I create these rules to begin with?"

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...